In this post we have provided you some of the most common Idioms and proverbs with the word “Cat”. We tried to put an example for each idiom or proverb to help you understand & use them in your daily life conversation.
A- Cat got your tongue?
- These someone when they are expected to speak and they do not.
Example:”Answer me! Cat got your tongue?”
B-When the cat is away the mice will play.
- Describe what happens when the boss leaves the office for a day or two.
Example:” The student behaved very badly for the substitute teacher.When the cat is away the mice will play.
C–You are like a cat on hot brickes.
- Tell someone they are being jumpy and nervous.
Example:” She was like a cat on hot brickes before her driving test.”
D–There is more than one way to skin a cat.
- Tell someone that there are different ways of doing something.
Example:” Be careful about your choice, there is more than one Way to skin a cat.”
E–Like a cat that got a cream.
- Very pleased or satisfy with yourself.
Example:”Ever since she won that prize, she has been like a cat that got the cream.”
F– put the cat among the pigeons.
- Say that there is going to be trouble because of what someone had said or done.
Example:” She told all the staff they would have to cancel their holidays, and that really put the cat among the pigeons.”
G– Do not let the cat out of the bag.
- Remind someone to keep something secret.
Example:” I wanted to be a surprise, but my sister let the cat Out of bag.”
H–You have not got a cat in hell,s chance!
- Tell somebody that there is no chance at all.
Example:”You haven’t got a chance in hells chance of buying a descent car for 10000 $.”
I–The cat’s whiskers/pyjamas
- The best person, thing, etc.
Example: ”She thinks she is a cat’s whiskers.”
J–Like sth the cat brought/dragged in.
- Look dirty and untidy.
Example: ” Where have you been? You look sth the cat dragged in.”
K- There is more than one way to skin a cat.
- There are different ways of doing something.
Example: “Do not be worry of your lose, there is more than one way to skin a cat.”
L– There is not enough room to swing a cat.
- Describes a room as very small.
Example:” I share a room with 3 other people,there is not enough room To swing a cat.”