HOW TO LEARN ENGLISH?
Learning English requires action. The fact is, if you want to learn to speak English well, you must change your life. Here are some examples of things you will have to do:
- Read a book in English for an hour every day, analyzing the grammar in sentences and looking up words in an English dictionary.
- Listen to an audio-book or other recording in English, stopping it frequently, trying to understand what is being said, and trying to imitate the speaker’s pronunciation.
- Carefully write an e-mail message in English, using a dictionary or a web search every 20 seconds to make sure every word is correct, and taking 5 minutes to write one sentence.
- Walk down the street and build simple English sentences in your head (talking to yourself in English about the things you see around you) what kind? The kind of person who enjoys doing them. If you want to learn to speak English well, you are going to have to become that person you can not hate doing these things. Have you ever heard of a person who became successful by doing something he hated? kind of person would do all these crazy things? Only one!
The problem with learning and teaching English as a foreign language is that all English learners want to speak English well; however, most learners do not want to spend time on learning English or their own (which is probably why they sign up for English classes and hope their teacher will force knowledge into their heads). This lack of motivation means that learners basically don not spend their own time on learning English, and if they do, they do not do it regularly. For example, a typical learner might study English phrasal verbs for 12 hours before an English exam. However, he will not read book in English for 30 minutes everyday. He just does not feel that learning English is pleasant enough, so he will only do it if he has to. The problem is that the huge one-time effort gives you nothing, while small, every day activities will give you a lot.
- Talk to people about English
This is a very simple method, but it is very effective. Here is how it works; you usually talk about things which interest you. But the opposite is true, too. If you start talking about a boring subject, you will begin to get interested in it.
Imagine you are studying a subject that you hate. You are bored and tired, but you have to pass the test tomorrow. If there are people near you, you have two options; You can tell everybody how much you are suffering or you can tell those people about the things you have learned.
If you choose the first option, you will only feel worse. If you choose the second option, and start a conversation on the “boring” subject, you will begin to look at it in a totally different way. Suddenly it will become a subject worth talking about – therefore, an interesting subject.
How can you begin such a conversation? If you are studying English, you can surprise another person by talking to him/her in English. Say (in English):
Hi, I’m studying English and hate it.
Or you can say (in your first language):
Hey, I have learned 50 English words today. Do you know what is the English word for?
If here are no people near you, you can telephone or send an e-mail message to your friend. What will your friends say? Probably they will not be very interested, but it does not matter! The important thing is this:
After talking about English, you will study it with much more passion, try it.
- Find a friend who is learning English
If you can find a friend who is learning English and is on a similar level of skill, you will be an excellent situation. You will have someone to talk about English with. These conversations will increase your interest in English, as explained in the pervious section. Learning English will be easier, because you will be able to discuss your problems with your friends. You should meet your friend regularly ideally; he/she should live near you, or go to the same school as you. If you absolutely can not find anybody willing to learn with you, you can try to find somebody by e-mail. This is a worse solution: your conversations will probably be less frequent, and it is difficult to compete with someone who you do not know well.